Last Updated: May 2019
This is intended to be a running log of updates to the data files for the FDA, available on the FTP site. Credentials can be provided upon request.
Significant additions have been made to this latest FTP upload, chiefly:
- All up-to-date files are located in a new folder called “Master” with associated dates that the data represents. Located within the Q2 2019 Data Export folder is a separate folder called “OFAS”, where Upload Gladson (Syndigo), Mintel, and Label Insight data is organized in files by 3-year increments as shown below:
- Before Jan 1, 2012
- Jan 1, 2012 – Dec 31, 2014
- Jan 1, 2015 – Dec 31, 2017
- Jan 1, 2018 – Dec 31, 2020
- Only the following fields have been elected to be contained within the OFAS files:
- UPC|FoodEssentials ID|On Pack|UPC E|UPC A|GTIN 14|EAN 13|EAN 8|Product Type|Aisle|Shelf|Category|Date Created|Date Modified|Live Status|Manufacturer|Brand|Sub Brand|Product Title|Flavor|Net Weight 1|Net Weight 2|Net Weight 3|Serving Size|Serving Size UOM|Serving Size 2|Serving Size 2 UOM|Serves Per Pack|Serve Description|Label Version|Not a Significant Source of Statement|On Package Ingredients|Warnings|Calcium Value|Calcium UOM|Calcium Symbol|Calcium Daily Value|Calories from Fat Value|Calories from Fat UOM|Calories from Fat Symbol|Calories from Fat Daily Value|Calories Value|Calories UOM|Calories Symbol|Calories Daily Value|Cholesterol Value|Cholesterol UOM|Cholesterol Symbol|Cholesterol Daily Value|Dietary Fiber Value|Dietary Fiber UOM|Dietary Fiber Symbol|Dietary Fiber Daily Value|Insoluble Fiber Value|Insoluble Fiber UOM|Insoluble Fiber Symbol|Insoluble Fiber Daily Value|Iron Value|Iron UOM|Iron Symbol|Iron Daily Value|Monounsaturated Fat Value|Monounsaturated Fat UOM|Monounsaturated Fat Symbol|Monounsaturated Fat Daily Value|Other Carbohydrate Value|Other Carbohydrate UOM|Other Carbohydrate Symbol|Other Carbohydrate Daily Value|Polyunsaturated Fat Value|Polyunsaturated Fat UOM|Polyunsaturated Fat Symbol|Polyunsaturated Fat Daily Value|Potassium Value|Potassium UOM|Potassium Symbol|Potassium Daily Value|Protein Value|Protein UOM|Protein Symbol|Protein Daily Value|Saturated Fat Calories Value|Saturated Fat Calories UOM|Saturated Fat Calories Symbol|Saturated Fat Calories Daily Value|Saturated Fat Value|Saturated Fat UOM|Saturated Fat Symbol|Saturated Fat Daily Value|Sodium Value|Sodium UOM|Sodium Symbol|Sodium Daily Value|Soluble Fiber Value|Soluble Fiber UOM|Soluble Fiber Symbol|Soluble Fiber Daily Value|Sugar Alcohol Value|Sugar Alcohol UOM|Sugar Alcohol Symbol|Sugar Alcohol Daily Value|Sugars Value|Sugars UOM|Sugars Symbol|Sugars Daily Value|Total Carbohydrate Value|Total Carbohydrate UOM|Total Carbohydrate Symbol|Total Carbohydrate Daily Value|Total Fat Value|Total Fat UOM|Total Fat Symbol|Total Fat Daily Value|Trans Fat Value|Trans Fat UOM|Trans Fat Symbol|Trans Fat Daily Value|Vitamin A Value|Vitamin A UOM|Vitamin A Symbol|Vitamin A Daily Value|Vitamin C Value|Vitamin C UOM|Vitamin C Symbol|Vitamin C Daily Value|Vitamin D Value|Vitamin D UOM|Vitamin D Symbol|Vitamin D Daily Value|Vitamin E Value|Vitamin E UOM|Vitamin E Symbol|Vitamin E Daily Value|Contact Information - Address|Contact Information - Website|Contact Information - Phone Number|Contact Information - Distributed By|Packaging|Packaging Material|Physical Form|Attribute - FDA - Calorie Free|Attribute - FDA - Cholesterol Free|Attribute - FDA - Excellent Source of Calcium|Attribute - FDA - Excellent Source of Fiber|Attribute - FDA - Excellent Source of Iron|Attribute - FDA - Excellent Source of Protein|Attribute - FDA - Excellent Source of Vitamin A|Attribute - FDA - Excellent Source of Vitamin C|Attribute - FDA - Fat Free|Attribute - FDA - Low Calorie|Attribute - FDA - Low Cholesterol|Attribute - FDA - Low Fat|Attribute - FDA - Low Saturated Fat|Attribute - FDA - Low Sodium|Attribute - FDA - Saturated Fat Free|Attribute - FDA - Sodium Free|Attribute - FDA - Sugar Free|Attribute - FDA - Trans Fat Free
- Additionally, within the Q2 2019 Data Export folder are folders called “Cosmetics” and “Food” which are the previous format of the files for those that may prefer to access the data in the previously delivered format.
- All previously delivered uploads are stored in a folder called “Archive” to indicate that these are no longer the most current data files.
- Within the Master file, a zip file is available called, “FDA Q2 2019 Data Export” which is the previously requested contents of the zip uncompressed.
- All CSV and XLSX files have now been provided as individual files, rather than a single Zip, upon request from CFSAN due to issues unzipping large files. All previously available historical products are included in the “FDA Q1 2019 Data Export” folder.
- EULA.text (Limited Rights Agreement) has been added to the FTP location in compliance with Government Contract No.HHSF223201510043I
- Mintel Record ID and link to Mintel GNPD image were added to the Raw Data File. These were previously separate files.
- %DV now available for July 2018 Mintel Data, and will be included in monthly deliveries moving forward. This is also reflected in Explore. Note, backfill of historical Mintel %DV is currently in progress.
- Addition of the following standardized UPC formats (available for LI, Mintel, Gladson sources):
- UPC as it appears on Pack
- A “transformed” 12 digit UPC-A code into 8 digits, commonly used on small package formats.
- A standardized 12 digit upc. If the UPC-A is a registered GTIN at the “each” level with GS1, that UPC-A is also considered a GTIN-12. A GTIN-12 includes a standardized company prefix, assigned by GS1.
- A standardized 14 digit GTIN, designating the “case” level hierarchy of a product (as opposed to the “each” level). It is common to prefix leading zeros onto a GTIN-12 to make it a GTIN-14 if the item does not have a different case level GTIN-14. A GTIN-14 includes a company prefix, assigned by GS1.
- A standardized 13 digit upc, commonly used in Europe and outside the US.
- A “transformed” 13 digit EAN-13 into 8 digits, commonly used on small package formats, and used in Europe and outside the US.
- On Pack
- UPC E
- UPC A
- GTIN 14
- EAN 13
- EAN 8
- Label Version (*only available for Label Insight source products)
- Not a Significant Source of Statement (*only available for Label Insight source products)
- Verbatim where applicable
- Additional Files Added:
- Mintel Image Product Data (CSV and XLSX). Includes Mintel Record ID, and link to Mintel GNPD image.
- Removal of “calculated nutrients” (Sodium per calorie, calories from sat fat percent, etc.). Removal was done upon request to make nutrients 1:1 with what appears on the label.